Our law firm handles thousands of premises liability injury cases each year. In fact, premises liability cases are one of the most common types of personal injury cases. Why? The short answer is because people often do not take care of their property.
This lack of care leads to someone getting hurt through no fault of their own. A Philadelphia premises liability lawyer knows that you may have some questions regarding the laws in Pennsylvania and how they protect your rights.
What Does Premises Liability Mean?
The term “premises liability” refers to a legal concept that applies to personal injury cases involving accidents that occurred on someone else’s property. Premises liability laws state that property owners must maintain safe and hazard-free conditions on their property at all times.
If someone is injured because of a failure to fulfill this legal obligation, the property owner could be held liable for the victim’s injuries in a premises liability claim.
What Are the Most Common Types of Premises Liability Claims in Philadelphia?
A premises liability claim can arise in a number of different ways. Some of the most common types of claims involve:
- Slip and Fall: This is the most common type of premises liability case. A slip and fall occur when someone loses their footing and falls.
- Trip and Fall: A trip and fall is often caused by something sticking out where it shouldn’t be. No reasonable person would have anticipated the condition on the property – think defective staircase, broken or uneven stairwells.
- Lack of Security: This accident often involves situations where criminal activity, i.e., assault, rape or other terrible situations occur. These situations could have been avoided should there have been proper security was put in place.
- Negligent Security: Negligent security is seen a lot at casinos, bars, concerts, and other public events. The organizers and/or owners of the property hosting the event need to have proper security in place. Even when there is adequate security, they also need to have the personnel trained properly.
- Fire: Property owners and property managers need to have proper fire safety equipment installed (i.e., alarm systems, fire extinguishers that work, etc.). Fire premises liability cases have some of the worst injuries and sometimes even fatalities.
- Swimming Pool Accidents: If you have a pool you need proper safety equipment, fencing, and trained lifeguards in place. Additionally, the proper homeowners’ insurance needs to be purchased if you own a house with a swimming pool.
- Dog Bites: These are not often thought of as a premises liability case, but that’s what a dog bit case is. Keep in mind if you rent a property out to a tenant with a dog you may have liability for a dog bite accident.
- Elevator and Escalator Accidents: Records of all inspections and maintenance need to be reviewed by a lawyer in these types of accident cases.
Proving Negligence in Premises Liability Cases
A property owner is not automatically held liable for every injury that is sustained on his property. It is up to the plaintiff–with the help of an attorney–to prove that the property owner was negligent and therefore should be held liable for the victim’s injuries.
To prove negligence, the plaintiff must show that the property owner knew or should have known about the dangerous condition on his property. An attorney can use various types of evidence to build a case against the property owner, including photos from the scene, witness testimony, and surveillance footage.
Do You Need An Aggressive Personal Injury Lawyer For A Premises Liability Claim?
It’s strongly recommended that you hire an experienced personal injury attorney to handle your premises liability claim. Why? Recovering compensation is never guaranteed, and these particular cases are known for their complexity.
The defendant will more than likely have a team of attorneys on their side, and you should not face them alone. You need a Philadelphia premises liability attorney who has a track record of securing large settlements and verdicts in premises liability claims.
Schedule A Free Consultation With An Award-Winning Premises Liability Law Firm In Philadelphia, PA Today
If you’ve been injured due to negligence while on someone else’s property, you most likely have several questions that you need to be answered. If you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.
Our premises liability attorneys have recovered millions of dollars for our clients. We’ve helped locals get the compensation they need time and time again.
Contact a Philadelphia premises liability lawyer today for a free consultation to learn more about your legal options. You can reach us by calling or filling out the form on our website.