Drivers should take special care this holiday season, statistically Christmas and New Years increase the risk of driver fatalities by 12-15% according to a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration study. In the Philadelphia region, a warm front right before Christmas has brought with it a heavy rain, fog, and wind, all making for treacherous holiday travel conditions. (See NBCPhiladelphia Holiday Travel Report).
The weather contributed to today’s Christmas Eve early morning Philadelphia truck accident, when a pickup overturned on I-676 ramp to I-76 – causing a huge morning rush hour back up. (See NBCPhiladelphia Pickup Truck Overturns). Luckily this truck accident happened in the early morning hours, and no one was seriously hurt, but as the statistics show, car accidents during this time of year are more likely to fatal, which often lead to wrongful death cases.
Why is the Holiday Season Riskier for Drivers:
The holidays are a time to enjoy family and friends, but for some people they feel this is a time to let loose, which often leads to misery. The top 3 causes for holiday driving fatalities are:
- Holiday Drunk Driving – Remember buzzed driving is still drunk driving.
- Poor Weather Conditions – December is a notoriously messy month for drivers.
- Increase in Drivers on Road During the Holidays – Increase in number of drivers and length/time those drivers are on the roadways.
3 Holiday Season Safe Driving Tips
For most people driving during the holiday season is unavoidable, so keep these 3 tips in mind when headed out this holiday driving season:
- Avoid Distraction – Phone calls, texting while driving, or not paying attention can be deadly
- Buckle Seat Belts – This should be done regardless, but becomes more important when the risk of fatalities increases.
- Do Not Drink and Drive – This is obvious for most, but needs repeating, you could cost yourself or someone else their life.
The takeaway from this post should be that holiday driving is often unavoidable, but understanding the increased risk of fatalities for holiday motorists may be the difference between coming home to your family or ending up in the morgue. While harsh, understanding the statistics, and the holiday season safe driving tips, can keep you and your family safe. However, if you or a family member is involved in a car accident, truck accident or at worst a wrongful death accident, during the holiday season make sure they get in contact with the Philadelphia Personal Injury Law Firm of KaplunMarx.